Like it or not, we have to learn to mind our tongues literally. There’s a reason why most doctors ask you to open wide during annual check-ups. The tongue’s pigmentation and color indicates a lot about our general health and diet. As part of the body’s digestive system, the tongue reveals the toxin levels in our bodies and could point to illnesses before they strike hard. Here are 7 specific w-a-r-n-i-n-g signs your tongue could be trying to tell you.
1. IF YOUR TONGUE HAS WHITE PATCHES, YOU COULD HAVE AN EASILY TREATABLE INFECTION.
2. A BLACK AND/OR HAIRY-LOOKING TONGUE CAN INDICATE SOMETHING TREATABLE… OR SOMETHING VERY SERIOUS. BEST TO CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR ON THIS ONE.
3. IF YOU’VE BEEN EATING SCALDING-HOT SOUP OR LOTS OF ICE CREAM RECENTLY, YOU MIGHT NOTICE THAT YOUR TASTE BUDS LOOK A LITTLE WORN. THEY’LL GET BETTER SOON!
4. YOU MIGHT BE SICK OR IN NEED OF VITAMINS IF YOUR TONGUE IS ESPECIALLY RED.
5. DOES YOUR TONGUE HAVE A WEBBED OR STRIPED APPEARANCE? YOU MIGHT HAVE THIS CONDITION, WHICH IS CHRONIC AND CAN BE PAINFUL, BUT IT CAN’T BE PASSED FROM PERSON TO PERSON.
6. DON’T WORRY, RIDGES ARE TOTALLY NORMAL!
7. BUMPS ARE USUALLY CANKER SORES OR COLD SORES, THE LATTER OF WHICH ARE CAUSED BY HERPES SIMPLEX 1 (HSV-1), A LIFELONG VIRUS.
Next time you brush your teeth, take a look at your tongue. You might learn that something’s wrong, or confirm that you’re perfectly healthy.