Dark circles are one of the most dreaded side effect of being overworked and sleep deprived. Read here to know some effective remedies that can help in getting rid of dark circles naturally.
Dark rings, dark circles or dark shadows are names used for the dark discoloration under the eyes. They can be quite discomforting. Not only can they make you look tired, they can also make you appear older than you are.
But please don’t worry as there are simple yet effective home remedies that can help you get rid of dark circles in a jiffy.
Cucumbers are naturally chilling and hydrating in nature. They can improve blood circulation in your under-eye area and reduce dark circles. Take two slices of cucumber and place them on your eye lids. Let it stay for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash with water. Repeat this every day for effective results.
Tomatoes contain bleaching properties that can be effective in lightening the skin. Lycopene rich tomatoes can be good for your skin. Apply some tomato juice under your eyes for 10 minutes and rinse it with cool water. Repeat twice or thrice a week for reducing dark circles naturally.
3. Lemon juice
Lemon juice contains skin-lightening qualities due to the presence of vitamin C.
• Apply lemon juice with a cotton ball and wash it off after 10 minutes. Repeat the procedure once a day for several weeks.
• You can also make a thick paste using 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, pinch of gram flour, 2 tablespoons tomato puree and turmeric powder. Apply the paste and wash it off with water after 15 minutes. Apply the paste three times a week.
Notation: Don’t use lemon juice if you feel a burning sensation.
The puffiness and darkness around the eyes can be removed with a raw potato, since potatoes contain bleaching agents that are completely natural.
• Grate two potatoes for the juice. Apply the juice on the skin with a cotton ball. Leave the soaked cotton ball over the eyes. Keep your eyes closed for 15 minutes. Wash off the juice with cold water. Repeat the treatment two times a day for several weeks.
• Thick potato slices can also be used instead of the juice.
5. Turmeric powder
To remove the dark circles, soften and smooth the skin under the eyes use turmeric. Turmeric powder has excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities.
• Make a thick paste with 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder and pineapple juice.
• Apply the remedy.
• After 10 minutes, wipe away the paste with a damp cloth.
• Repeat the treatment every day until the dark circles are gone.
6. Cold compress
Cold compresses can help in reducing the swelling and shrink dilated blood vessels. Applying cold compress can also be helpful in reducing puffiness caused by dark circles. All you need to do is wrap ice cubes in a washed cloth and rub it around the eyes. If cold compress makes you feel uncomfortable, you can simply wash a piece of cotton cloth or a handkerchief with cold water and apply under your eyes. You can try this for a few minutes every day for effective results.
7. Almond oil
Almond oil is very effective in the treatment of the sensitive skin beneath the eyes. Using almond oil regularly will help you remove the dark circles beneath the eyes. Vitamin E oil is also beneficial in the treatment of dark circles.
• Massage the dark circle under the eye gently, every night before going to sleep.
• Leave the oil on the dark circles over the night.
• In the morning, wash off the oil with cold water.
• Repeat the treatment every night until the circles are gone.
8. Coconut oil
Massages with coconut oil will lighten the dark discoloration of the eyes. Coconut oil is also an excellent moisturizer, so will give you a smooth skin without lines and wrinkles.
• Massage extra virgin coconut oil.
• Leave the oil on the dark skin for several hours and then rinse it off.
• Repeat the treatment three times a day for several months. Stop the treatment after the dark circles are gone.
9. Rose water
Rose water will soothe your tired eyes and rejuvenate the skin, since it is an excellent ingredient for skin care. It is an excellent skin toner due to its astringent qualities.
• Soak a cotton eye pad for several minutes.
• Place the eye pad over your closed eyes.
• Leave the cotton eye pad for 15 minutes.
• Repeat the application of the rose water two times a day for several weeks.
10. Tea bags
The antioxidants and caffeine will reduce the retention of fluids and the shrinking of the blood vessels. This will reduce the dark circles and the puffiness. The tannins remove the discoloration and the swelling under the eyes.
• Put two used black or green tea bags in the fridge for 30 minutes.
• Put the tea bags on the eyes for 15 minutes.
• Rinse the face afterwards.
• Repeat the treatment two times a day for several weeks.
Notation: The tea should not enter your eyes.
• Sleep and rest enough.
• Rubbing the eyes is bad, since it dilates the blood vessels and makes the discoloration even darker.
• Remove make-up before bed, since make-up can irritate the eyes.
• Limit the exposure to sun.
• Drink a lot of water and solve the problem of water retention.
• Fluids in the lower eyelid cause eye bags. Elevating the head with pillows is recommended.
• Eat healthy, especially foods that contain vitamins E, C and A.
• Caffeine, alcohol and smoking are not recommended for dark circles. Caffeine and alcohol cause dehydration of the delicate skin under the eyes. Smoking destroys the cells of the skin.
References: ndtv.com, viralsection.com